Full Moon Lunar Phase

Full Moon Lunar Phase

WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHY – ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY

This photograph of the moon was taken on February 15th, 2011 and was a couple of days before the full lunar phase. The camera gear used was a Nikon d90 attached to a Phoenix 650mm lens mounted on a tripod.

The Moon has phases because it orbits Earth, which causes the portion we see illuminated to change. The Moon takes 27.3 days to orbit Earth, but the lunar phase cycle (from new Moon to new Moon) is 29.5 days. The Moon spends the extra 2.2 days “catching up” because Earth travels about 45 million miles around the Sun during the time the Moon completes one orbit around Earth.

Subject Photo exif Data

• Camera - NIKON D90
  • Date Created - February 16, 2011, 12:21 am
  • Iso - 200
  • Shutter speed - 1/80
Share on Google+6Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on LinkedIn31Pin on Pinterest14Digg this

Tags: , , ,

10 Comments

1. Francis Stevens (@Francis_Stevens) (@Francis_Stevens) says:

Full Moon http://t.co/NxVOCfu via @photobug52
    Awesome photo

2. PhotoGurl says:

Stunning photography

3. monica says:

beautifull, lindaaaaaaaaa

4. Bella says:

Very interesting-keep posting them-I like all your pictures

5. Alan S. Hochman says:

So glad you’re enjoying the photos!

6. Sandra says:

Alan, do you take people out for photo trips??

7. NikkiG says:

Thanks, awesome pix

8. sherri hellige says:

9. sherri hellige says:

Hello!Thanks for following me on Twitter. It is evident, you have a vast knowledge in science. Your photographs are wonderfully delightful. Thank you for bringing the world around us into a beautiful focus. I look forward to sharing & purchasing your life-as-art! Peace be with you always! Sherri (twitter: child _ of _ nrg)

10. Andy sintome says:

Thanks for following me on twitter. I have just had a quick look at your web site and it’s wonderful. I’m relatively new to twitching but like yourself I love walking in the outback of South Australia.